Who is Newmark?
Newmark relentlessly pursues improvement in all it does, staying true to the brand’s essence, service excellence. This is practised at each hotel, residence, reserve or lodge within Newmark’s extensive portfolio, ensuring that its properties resonate with discerning guests and hotel owners alike. Clients quickly become part of the Newmark family and, together, uphold The Newmark Way.
What the role entails
The field guide/hosting position at Geiger’s Camp, within the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, requires that you are responsible for delivering an exceptional and holistic guided and hosted experience to your guests. As a field guide/host, you will need to closely manage the guest experience and with the Geigers team, ensure their needs are met, down to the finest of details.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who can work closely with a small-knit team to ensure a seamless guest experience. consistently. You will need to oversee the relevant duties of each team member to make sure their contribution towards the guest experience is of the expected standard, ensuring all high standards are maintained. You would also need to ensure that there is effective communication with lodge management in terms of all the guests’ requirements.
Apart from the field guiding experience itself, the other single most important part of the role is to provide an amazing all-rounded hosted experience to your guests.
Core Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee and organize the small team at Geigers
- Have an eye for detail and understand 5-star service levels and requirements
- Make sure lodge standards of service and cleanliness are adhered to, notifying respective management as required.
- Adhere to company policies & procedures as well as the code of conduct
- Ensure guest safety at all times
- Ensure the highest quality of game experience for the guests. How you go about this is your own choice and obviously requires you to deliver excellent game drives, however, we do expect you to offer bushwalks for your guests at least once within their stay. We encourage that you be creative with this, and perhaps, incorporate walking activities into your game drives.
- All lodge policies of care for equipment to be adhered to
- Game drive and safety protocols to be adhered to, ensuring professionalism is maintained.
- You will need to present a short talk on a topic of your own choice roughly once to twice a week as an added guest activity.
- You will need to participate in any training and mentorship that is required
- If you enjoy photographing wildlife it would be necessary to contribute to the company’s social media and marketing - all credit will be directed to you, the guide.
- Hosting is an absolute necessity and we expect that you sit dinner with your guests at least once within the duration of their stay. The only exceptions to this would be due to extreme language barriers or if the guests have requested specifically that they want to be on their own
- The guiding service should be delivered with an uncompromising sensitivity towards the environment
- It is expected that you participate in any bush rehabilitation that needs to be attended to
- Excellent communication and people handling skills
- Be both a co-operative team player and have a positive yet humble attitude
- An inherent passion for observing, sharing and learning about wildlife
- The ability to work on his/her own with enthusiasm
- Flexible in that he/she is willing to change plans on the spur of the moment and is willing to innovate in the interests of the guest and the company
- Organized – with attention to detail and time
- A developmental approach to his/her staff and colleagues
- Must have the mindset of going above and beyond for the interests of your guests
What you need
- Minimum FGASA Level 2 (NQF 4)
- Full Trails Guide
- Valid ARH
- Valid PDP Licence
- Registered with DEAT
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- SASSETA Certificates
Reports to General Manager and Assistant GM
Responsible with overseeing the Kitchen & Service Departments. They will work closely with Senior management to ensure the strategy & vision is effectively implemented. They should make sure that the Guest experience and offering is of a consistent high standard, looking for new ideas and ways to improve this.
Core Competencies, Traits & Requirements:
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Interested in and possessing knowledge of food & culinary standards
- Solid experience in food & dining service
- Computer literate
- Good Organisational skills
- Detail Oriented
- Positive & Energetic
- Manage overall guest experience, ensuring high standards are maintained
- Directly oversee the Kitchen, Service & Stock Control Teams
- Assist with & implement the company vision & strategy
- Provide operational management & oversite as prescribed by Senior management, including for Motswari & Geigers camps and when required, for Java & Paul’s Hideaway camps.
Newmark Hotels & Reserves to launch new safari...
Newmark Hotels & Reserves continues to grow its portfolio of signature properties in Africa, with...
An all-encompassing Safari Experience
Mount Camdeboo Private Game Reserve, a beautiful 14,000-hectare Reserve, located in South Africa’s...
Mandela Day at Newmark
Nelson Mandela International Day has enjoyed 10 years of global support and solidarity since it was...
New restaurant YU opens in Cape Town
Inspired by growing interest in unique culinary experiences and travel, global food trends have...